10-Digit Dialing Coming to Manitoba in 2012
Manitoba is running out of phone numbers. The popularity of wireless phones and other communication devices means we will eventually run out. In anticipation of a shortage of phone numbers, Manitoba will have a new area code (431) starting in late 2012. That is why, as of July 29, 2012, 10-digit dialing - the area code followed by the telephone number, will apply to all local communications in Manitoba.
- How will I make a call?
- You will need to include the area code every time you make a call.
- For local calls, you will need to dial 10 digits (area code + 7-digit number).
- Long distance calls will be dialed the same as they are now, 1 + area code + 7-digit number.
- How will I know what my area code will be?
All phone numbers in Manitoba as of November 3, 2012, will keep the current area code (204) and phone number. Customers requesting new telephone numbers after November 3, 2012, will be given either the 204 or 431 area code depending on phone number availability.
- What will happen if I don't dial the area code and just dial 7 digits?
From July 29, 2012, until October 20, 2012, callers who have forgotten to dial the area code will hear a network announcement (where technology exists) reminding them to dial area code 204 followed by the 7-digit phone number. The call will then be automatically completed.
After October 20, 2012, all local calls must be preceded by the area code or they will not be connected. Callers will hear a network announcement (where technology exists) reminding them to dial the area code.
- What about 911 and other 3-digit numbers?
To get emergency services, simply dial 911 - you will not need to add the area code. This applies to other 3-digit numbers including 311 (City of Winnipeg), 411 (MTS Directory Assistance) and 611 (MTS Repair).